As many of you know, at Caffi Clywedog we are taking part in Veganuary. Part of this is for us to try new recipes and so we thought that this week’s blog would be to share a couple of our favourites from the Veganuary cookbook with you.
The Veganuary cookbook is completely free and available to download over at the Veganuary website. The cookbook has been written by a group of celebrity chefs so there is bound to be something for everyone. https://veganuary.com/
The recipes we have chosen are quick and easy but also suitable for anyone. The chickpea burgers are a great dinner choice while the almond milk tea is the perfect pick me up for these frosty mornings.
The Chickpea Burgers by John Bishop
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1x400g can of chickpeas, drained
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tahini
- A little plain flour
- Salt and pepper
1. Gently fry the onions over a medium heat in half the oil until they are soft and translucent. Add the garlic and fry for another minute, stirring.
2. Mash the chickpeas with a fork or a potato masher, and add them to the onions, along with the cumin and paprika. Cook stirring for another three or four minutes.
3. Add the lemon juice and stir in the tahini to bind the mixture. Season to taste.
4. Form the mixture into four burgers, and coat them in flour, then fry them in the remaining oil for four minutes on each side.
5. Serve with green salad.
Almond Milk Tea by Mallika Sherawat
- 1 cup of water
- 3-4 tbsp almond milk
- ½ tsp tea leaves
- Pinch of ground cardamom, or fresh ginger grated
- Sugar as per your taste
1. Boil the water and sugar in a pot.
2. Add the tea leaves.
3. Add the fresh ginger or the cardamom.
4. Simmer on a low heat, then add the almond milk (it must be a low heat as otherwise the plant milk may split).
5. Serve hot.
If you try either of these recipes, please let us know and share your images! Or alternatively please feel free to share any of your own vegan recipes with us.
If you want to come and enjoy some vegan treats then please head over to our Caffi, we are re-opening on the 19th of January. If you sign up to our newsletter there is a voucher code exclusively for newsletter subscribers to be used in our Caffi.